Tuesday, March 10, 2015

DURING THE MARCH 11, 2011 EARTHQUAKE THAT HIT JAPAN

This was taken from my my old blog  2 months after the 8.9 earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan 



It was around 3 p.m. I was on a video conference with my colleagues from another side of the globe at the 27th floor of my office building when the ground began to shudder uncontrollably. And it was different from what Im used to after living in Japan for 9 yrs wherein a daily shake or two is becoming a norm. It was then that I felt the ground move under me slightly—it was almost imperceptible, like a subway rumbling through a tunnel far beneath my feet. My first option was to run for my life, but I saw my colleagues all collected and calm so i opted to stay. Then another rumbling came after and it was huge. I hid under my desk crying and praying for my life and so as the others. I felt that was my end . I was still able to call my family and friends abroad  in between sobs,  while I think of the life of my family and friends here.

Just minutes after the second one another huge one was felt. I was already shaking while talking on the phone with mama and yani. I ran for the door, about 60 feet away. The ground was shaking so violently that it was difficult to run in a straight line, like trying to sprint across the deck of a ship being tossed by swells but only to find out that the elevator was down. The facility Manager and my other colleagues and staff was trying to calm me down coz i really wanted to go down that time. And they assured me that the building is new and earthquake proof and were all safe. There were few more aftershocks after that, the ground continued to tremble, albeit less violently . I would find out later that afternoon that the quake was a magnitude 8.9, the strongest earthquake to hit Japan in recorded history. Some people were visibly shaken. There were a few women crying, people pointing up at the buildings as they shook, but many others appeared calm and relaxed.




Making my way back to my home was an epic journey.  The rail system in Tokyo was completely shut down and millions were trying to make their way home on foot with an 8 deg temp as it was still winter during that time.  But how can i walk with a 2 inches heeled shoes? So,  I bought myself a pair of  rubber shoes without checking the price nor its color as it was selling like hotcakes on the store. I walked with my friend about 7 kms which is only halfway home while carrying a whole emergency kit bag provided by the office. ( this deserve a different post) and when I was able to contact my husband who was driving that time and also stuck amidst traffic, we decided to just meet halfway.  The streets were gridlocked, bikes and shoes selling like hotcakes, but I didn’t learn how catastrophic the event had actually been until I got to my home the next day  and turned on the news. The coastal areas of Japan, especially a few hundred miles to the north, were devastated beyond recognition.
News after that was already a bit exaggerated and sensationalized. Yes there were few areas where water and gas and even electricity were cut off. But that was just for a few days. Luckily in my place we never experienced any of that. But i heard from a friend that after a few days everything was back to normal.

This earthquake will be forever burned in my memory as the most harrowing experience of all.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...